Okay, so I know I'm a little late to the game but I am just so OB-SESSED with oil pulling that i HAD to share it. Now if you haven't heard of this before, you probably wondering what it is, so below is a quick summary for you - you will also find lots more information on Google about this topic - it is quite popular!
Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurveda dental approach that involves simply swishing oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes, yes, 20 minutes - you didn't read that wrong. So I know that 20 minutes sounds like a really long time to swish oil around but it really isn't! I just set a timer and get on with my morning activities plus - it kind of makes you realize how much you can accomplish in 20 minutes!
So I thought it would be easiest to first break it down in steps for you, so you can really see how simple it is!
- Buy cute teaspoons (seriously this is optional but cute teaspoons makes this process more fun)
- (or should I say the real step one) put a teaspoon of coconut oil into your mouth - yea the consistency is
superkind of weird the first time.
- set timer for 20 minutes - no more no less
- start that swishing!
- spit out the oil - in a garbage can - NOT THE SINK (your landlord will not thank you!)
- gargle with water and brush your teeth.
Voila that is all! So simple and so easy and i guarantee you will love it and if you are intimidated by the 20 minute time frame start at 5 minutes and just build up! I'm a chatty cathy and if i can not talk for 20 minutes without being bored - then trust me you can to.
I also thought it would be good to offer some tips while oil pulling:
- It's best to do it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning BUT if you cannot do this then evening works
- Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil works the best - but if you don't have this on hand, use what you have (you can also use sesame oil).
- "chew" until it melts
- Take a break if your mouth gets tired
- Spit some out if it gets to be too much
Now on the the why...because we are all busy people and we are only going to do something if it's beneficial:
- Whitens teeth - this is a big benefit for me as I'm very sensitive to whitening strips
- Prevents bad breath - seriously it pulls ALL the plaque out of your mouth
- Strengthens teeth, gums and jaw
- Increases energy - I have noticed a significant increase in my energy since I have started
- Helps hangovers (mild ones)
- Prevents diseases (I obviously can't speak from experience on this but that is an apparent benefit)
- Helps with allergies and sinus infections
I seriously feel so much better from it though, this morning I woke up with a stuffy nose and sore throat and after oil pulling I felt 100%, not even exaggerating. I highly recommend trying this at least once, I'm addicted!